This week our big piece of learning was in math and how to solve word problems on the Problem Solving Organizer.
Although we started with very simple word problems, this first week’s focus was to practice using the problem solving organizer as a way to break down a word problem and decipher what information is given, what we are looking for and how to choose an appropriate strategy. Completing the work and writing an explanation of each students mathematical process is the most challenging part of the organizer. Please make it a point to ask your child about their work on the organizer this week!
Here are some other things to Ask Me about….
- Fables and folktales; Rikki Tikki Tembo, Hansel and Gretel, The Ant and The Grasshopper
- Some Math Strategies we learned this week
- What is an equation? A number sentence?
- How to answer a question in writing by using part of the question in our answer (Complete sentences ex. Q. What season were the ants preparing for? A. The Ants were preparing for winter.)
- Who was our Mystery Reader this week?
- How we write stories including the 5 Elements of Story
- Writing our own reflections this week (see the picture of Willie above)
- Ms. McCabe has started Reading Assessments (see picture of Assessment program)
- Our Word Books….